Part of The Deptford Project was also the restoration of
The Grade II listed carriage ramp, the oldest railway structure in
London. Completed in 1835, the ramp was first built as a means for
carriages to reach the station.
The arches below the ramp were also used, originally to store the passengers' carriages and horses. Later they became locomotive and carriage works, a use that was shortlived, for after 1851 all railway repair work was moved to Ashford. By the Second World War the arches were opened up once more as air raid shelters. Today, with the help of the Railway Heritage Trust, the carriage ramp has finally been restored to allow pedestrians to reach the station.